Tuesday, April 16, 2024

 

Bill Humble and legacy

 Bill Humble lived a long life and recently made his journey to his forever home.  He was a professor of Restoration History at Abilene Christian University for many years and led many trips to the Holy Land.  He was one of my favorite professors.  I grew up in churches of Christ and I loved history.  So the study of our roots and early history were especially meaningful to me.  

Restoration history.  Bill Humble taught the who, what, and when.  But he also helped you see the why.  And of course, that led to a lot of insight into the ministry I have spent my life doing.  

I learned so much from him that I wanted to do my Master's work in Restoration History.  ACU really didn't have the faculty for a Master's program so Bill Humble designed a program just for me.  Classes in church history under Dr. Ferguson.  Guided study projects under Bill Humble.

But he was so much more than a historian of our movement.  He thought everyone should have a chance to understand the life and times of Jesus so he started taking guided tours to the Holy Lands.  Explaining where Jesus lived and how it impacted our study of the Bible.

But I also went to church with him for a number of years.  He would send cards and notes of encouragement often.  Went out of his way to speak words of encouragement.

It is easy to find professors who can encourage more scholarship and Dr. Humble did that.  Helped me get into a doctoral program at Baylor.  It is rarer to find professors who can encourage someone who decides they would be in the middle of doing restoration than studying it. And he encouraged me when I dropped out of that program.

So thanks for feeding my love of the Christians of my heritage in the United States who went before me.  And for encouraging me in the practical ministry of bringing people to Jesus.

Appreciation for the past and how if can shape the future.  Appreciation of the time and place where Jesus lived in this world.  And a participant in a local faith community.

I learned a lot from him.

Well done.  


Comments:
I, too, was influenced by Dr. Humble. He was a good friend of my uncle Tommy Shaver and thus became good friends with my parents. He preached at Woodlawn CofC when I started at ACU. I loved his simple, but profound, way of presenting the gospel. He always greeted me with kindness even years after I was through with my schooling. I wish there were more people like him everywhere.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?