Tuesday, April 23, 2024

 

Why I live by the Ridgell Rules

 The Ridgell Rules are a series of practices I live by.  They include things like:  no secrets from my wife, Marsha has access to every password for any communication devices, no meals or conversations one on one with the opposite sex.  Absolutely no secrets from my wife.  None.  Those kinds of things.  I developed them several years ago to help me live in a way that honored God.  

It was later that I found out that Billy Graham had rules he lived by.  And when Mike Pence was Vice President, he took heavy ridicule from the media for these same kinds of practices.

My rules are not spelled out in the Bible, though they very much reflect my understanding of Biblical principles and practices.

I find it helpful to remind myself why I live by these practices.  There are three very good reasons and I think they are reasons every Christian leader should consider when thinking through their own best practices for living.

So here are the three reasons behind my Ridgell Rules.

Protect me from temptation.  Every Christian needs to know their weak spots spiritually.  Satan sure knows and I want to be protected.  Do not fall into temptation.  Don't be led into temptation.  But up boundaries that keep you safe.  Be intentional about your Jesus walk.  You will develop some rules for living that are unique to your struggles and sin issues.

As a Christian leader, your flock needs to know they are safe.  These practices/rules ensure that your flock is safe.  Safeguards for protection.  I have helped many church leaders develop safe practices so that their flock knows they are safe and protected.

Finally, these rules protect us from false accusations.  He said, she said issues are never good for your community of faith.  Rules for living help protect you from lies.

I periodically remind myself of my rules and why I have them.  I have done them for so long now that they are second nature.

And they have helped my live the way I want.  And more importantly, the way God wants. 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?