Tuesday, June 11, 2024

 

Mowers and worship

 The first time I mowed a yard, it was behind a push mower.  No power.  Just you.  That was hard.  I remember gas mowers.  I thought better tho I remember those skeptical that the cut was as good.  Then self-propelled.  Wow.  Then electric.  Oops.  Lots of cut cords.  Battery powered.  Fine if you remembered to keep battery charged.  Riding mowers.  Fantastic.  Unless you had a little yard with trees.  Then not so fantastic.  Zero turn.  This is what Jesus must have had in mind when he thought about mowing.  Wait... did Jesus even mow?  Or think about it.

Of course, the purpose of all of these is to cut grass.  Some are better.  Some don't work in every circumstance.  Some seem old fashioned.  Some seem a little scary at first.  Some aren't really better.

Reminds me of worship styles.  Music.  Dress.  Order.  How you give.  Wine or grape juice.  In the context of a meal.  Or not.  Leadership.  What are announcements anyway?  Worship?  Buildings.  And on and on..

Hand holder or hand folder.

Amen or just nod. 

I don't worship much like i did when I was growing up.  Well, except for communion.  And singing.  And Scripture.  Giving. 

OK. Maybe I do worship a lot like I always have.

Lots of superficial changes in worship.  Some better.  Some worse.  Some don't work unless you are big.  Or small.  

This is not to argue about worship styles or changes.

It is to say things change.  That can be good or bad.  

Just always remember the point of worship.

Is God glorified?

Do non-believers that visit see God?

Mowers and worship.  

Just a few thoughts while I was mowing our big backyard on my new zero turn mower.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?