Thursday, July 18, 2024

 

More questions about life and punishment

 This is a follow-up to a question I got after the post on suicide and euthanasia.   The question had to do with capital punishment and how that relates to the Christian belief that life is sacred.

I have two thoughts on that.

I do believe life is sacred and is taught all thru Scripture.  So it would be very difficult for me as a Christian to execute someone.  Or even to vote on a jury for the death penalty.  Too much hoping that if they live they might repent.  So I personally in practical terms am against capital punishment.

However...

I can't say it is wrong because of what the Bible teaches in Romans 13.  The government and rulers of this world are instituted by God and we are to submit to their authority.  Governments do not bear the sword in vain.  They are servants of God to carry out His wrath on wrongdoers.  That sounds like capital punishment.

So I have to support the government's right to punish wrongdoers with the sword.

But I will not personally be the one to perform the execution.  

Not sure that is a coherent position.  Not sure I am right.  It is sort of a "right in theory, wrong personally" response.  

But that is how I approach much of life.  What does the Bible say?  How do I live that out?  

 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?